Poached Pear and Almond TartCourse: Dinner, Lunch
If you are wondering whether or not to try this super easy recipe, think winter, Christmas and at your mom’s kitchen. It yells out comfort food! Whether you enjoy it on its own or with ice cream you are in for a treat. I used the best port for the pears, Peter Bayly’s Cape Vintage port 2010. Crafted from Touriga Nacional, Tinta Barocca and Souzao, the Duoro’s guintessention Port varietals utilizing artisanal winemaking techniques.
½ cup of sugar
5 tablespoons coconut oil
½ cup milk
1 cup almond flour
1 cup of self-rising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup almond flakes
Melted chocolate to drizzle over
1 cup of port
1 cup of water
¾ cup sugar
Peel of an Orange
1 stick of cinnamon
4 firm ripe pears
- To make the pears: Combine the port, water, sugar, orange peel and cinnamon in a pot. Bring to the boil. Peel the pears and put them into the sauce and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until a knife slides into pears with ease, 50 – 60 minutes. Remove from heat and let them cool.
- Pre- heat the oven to 180 C.
- Beat the eggs and the sugar. Add the milk, self-rising flour and almond flour.
- Add the melted coconut oil and the vanilla. Mix everything together.
- Pour your batter into a tart dish. Cut the pears in halve and put them on top of the batter.
- Sprinkle the almond flakes over.
- Bake the tart for 30 minutes. Drizzle with some melted chocolate.