Fragrant Chicken and chickpea curry
Fragrant Chicken and chickpea curryCourse: Dinner, Lunch
I made this curry with all my favourite spices to make it not only spicy, but to bring the warmth and depth into the dish. I know the list of spices seems long, but I promise you each and every one counts and you won’t be sorry. I am exploring with legumes and different beans to make it more nutritious and low GI. I decided to add chickpeas and brown lentils, but you can add any kind of bean or legumes. This is a one pot dish, so very little cleaning up to do! Enjoy!!
8 Chicken pieces (thighs and legs)
3 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
4 Star aniseed
4 Cardamom pods
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
2 Chilies (optional)
2 onions, sliced
4 Carrots, peeled and sliced
5 cloves of garlic, grated
Salt and pepper
1 tin of tomatoes
1 cup of red wine
½ cup chicken stock
1 cup of brown lentils
1 can (400g) chickpeas
Handful of mint and flaked almonds to serve.
- Heat the oil and brown the chicken all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots and spices to the same pot and fry until the onions are softened. Add the garlic, salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the pot. Tip the tomatoes, lentils, wine and chicken stock.
- Bring it to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Add the chickpeas and cook while covered for 20 minutes. If the sauce is still very runny, just open up the lid and let it reduce a bit.
- Serve with fresh mint and almonds.
- love to squeeze the juice of a lemon over just before serving.