Decadent Cardamom and Strawberry Sago Pots
Decadent Cardamom and Strawberry Sago PotsCourse: sweet
“These little spheres of beauty and the fragrance of rosewater is synonymous with Woman’s Day for me. Polkadraai Pinot Noir Rosé is a seductive salmon-coloured sparkling wine – sweet and medium bodied with strawberry flavours and a hint of candy floss. The combination of this sparkling wine and the fragrant sago pots is thus a match made in heaven for all the wonderful ladies out there. I hope you enjoy this pairing and that you feel special. You deserve it!”
4 cups milk
1 cup sago
Pinch of salt
4 cardamom pods
100 ml sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons rosewater (optional)
6 strawberries – (crushed)
2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups sugar
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
Drop of pink food coloring
You can use Woolworth’s marshmallow frosting.
- Bring the milk, sago, salt, cardamom pods and sugar to the boil over low heat, stirring frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Simmer until the sago is cooked and transparent.
- Remove the cardamom pods and stir in the butter, vanilla and the rosewater.
- Divide the mixture in two. Keep half just as it is and add the strawberry pulp to the other half.
- Pour the mixture into ramekins to make two layers.
- Whisk all the ingredients except the food coloring until frothy.
- In a double boiler, whisk the mixture with an electric beater for 7 minutes until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy.
- Or You can use the marshmallow frosting of Woolworths and follow the instructions on the packet.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the sago and garnish with fresh berries.