Raisin-free Hot Cross Buns
Raisin-free Hot Cross BunsCourse: sweet
This is a very special time of the year for our family. To bake hot cross buns are one of our traditions. These buns have no raisins in, my family are not fond of them. They are super soft and fluffy. Enjoy this special time with your family. Hopefully this recipe will become one of your family traditions.
(I adapted the original recipe from Marcelle Botha’s recipe).
4 ½ cup cake flour
10g instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter, melted
180ml lukewarm water
200ml lukewarm milk
1 egg, beaten
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixer.
- Add the butter, milk, water, milk and egg.
- With a (K) hook beat for 5- 8 minutes.
- Cover with cling film and let it proof for 40 minutes or until double in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C – 200C.
- Divide the dough into 15 balls and place into a oven pan that has been brushed with melted butter. 5 rows with 3 in a row.
- Brush the dough balls with a beaten egg.
- Cover with cling film and proof again for 15- 20 minutes until double in size.
- To make the dough for the white cross
- Mix 150ml cake flour, 50ml oil, 125ml milk and a pinch of salt.
- Place into a Ziplock bag. Cut the corner of and pipe crossed over the buns. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush the buns with a sugar mixture when they get out of the oven.
- For the sugar mixture mix 50ml boiling water with 50 ml sugar until dissolved.
- Serve with butter!