Warming Self – Saucing Lemon and Naartjie Pudding by Granny Kay’s
Warming Self – Saucing Lemon and Naartjie Pudding by Granny Kay’sCourse: sweet
This is a wonderful easy recipe that will become a favourite in your household. This self-saucing lemon and naartjie pudding has a creamy sauce with a burst of citrus. Enjoy this pudding warm with a glass of chilled Lozärn Chardonnay. The perfect food and wine pairing.
75g butter, softened
¼ cup castor sugar
2/3 cup self-raising flour
2 x lemons for grated zest and juice
2 x naartjies for finely grated zest and juice
3 eggs, separated
Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 190 Degrees C. Lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Beat the butter in a bowl until creamy, then add the sugar and beat again until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the citrus zest. Then the egg yolk, one at a time.
- Sift the flour over the mixture and stir it in along with the milk, lemon and nartjie juice. The mixture will be quite runny an have a slightly curled appearance. (don’t worry it is meant to like like this!)
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl into stiff peaks, then gently fold into the citrus mixture, half at a time.
- Pour into the prepared dish, then place in a roasting tin and pour in enough warm water to come just over halfway up the dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is lightly set and golden brown. Remove the dish from the roasting tin, dust with icing and enjoy hot with Lozärn Chardonnay 2018!