Oven Baked Pinotage Oxtail
Oven Baked Pinotage OxtailCourse: Dinner, Lunch
Feel like cooking something hearty, but don’t want to spend your day in the kitchen? This recipe is all you need! Oxtail that pretty much cooks itself, but brings you all its familiar flavourful joy, a hint of curry, smoky paprika and a touch of hoisin sweetness. Delicious with the recently released 2020 Leopard’s Leap Pinotage.
2kg free-range oxtail pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
15ml Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5ml dried thyme
15ml hoisin sauce
5ml smoked paprika
100ml tomato paste
5ml medium curry powder
1 litre beef stock
3 glasses Leopards leap Pinotage
1 can (450g) butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 handful chopped fresh sprigs fresh thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Season the oxtail with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and then add the oxtail and brown, stirring frequently, until the oxtail is browned all over.
- Add the onion, garlic, thyme, hoisin sauce and smoked paprika and stir for about a minute.
- Add the tomato paste, curry powder, beef stock and wine.
- Bake in the oven with a lid on for 2-3 hours until tender.
- Add the beans bake for another 30 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add more stock.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice and sweet potatoes.