Prawn CroquettesCourse: Dinner, Lunch, Snacks
Servings 17 Croquettes
These are so easy to make and super delicious enjoy it with a glass of Roodeberg Rose.
- For the croquette filling
125 g butter
½ cup flour
2 ½ cups lukewarm milk
salt and pepper
½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
400 g prawns, cooked, peeled and diced
- For the crumb coat
½ cup flour for dipping the croquette in
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 large eggs beaten
Canola oil for frying
- Heat a medium saucepan on a medium-low heat.
- Melt the butter in the pan, then sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Allow the flour to cook in the butter for a couple of minutes.
- Slowly drizzle in the lukewarm milk, little by little, stirring the whole time, until you get a thick, smooth sauce. The sauce will thicken as it begins to heat.
- Add the chopped prawn, nutmeg, and season salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine the mixture, and cool it completely.
- When the mixture has cooled, form croquettes by taking a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and rolling it in your hands, like you would if you were making a meatball.
- Roll the croquet in the flour, then coat it in the beaten egg, and finally, through the Panko crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Fry the croquettes in batches, for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on a paper towel, and serve hot.