Mushrooms on rice with olives, chili, basil feta and harissaCourse: Dinner, Lunch
1 Red Onion, chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
½ tsp Cumin Seeds
½ tsp dried chili
1 cup Brown Rice
800ml Vegetable Stock
4 big mushrooms
2 tsps Harissa
12 Olives, pitted and chopped
200g Ripe Cherry Tomatoes, cut into halve
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp Plain Yogurt
100g feta, crumbled
1 zest lemon
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Peel & finely slice the onion and garlic and place in a large shallow casserole pan on a medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil, the cumin seeds, and chili flakes and a splash of water.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the rice, pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for just 10 minutes.
- Lightly score a criss-cross pattern into each cut side and sprinkle with a pinch of sea-salt.
- Loosen the harissa with a drop of water then spread over each scored mushroom half and lay them on the rice, harissa side up.
- Cover the pan again and simmer for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Mix the olives and tomatoes & feta together and sprinkle the balsamic vinegar over.
- When the time is up on the mushroom, remove the cover and sprinkle the dressed olives and tomatoes in and around the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through, the liquid has evaporated and the mushroom is beautifully gnarly and looks delicious.
- To serve, spoon over the yogurt. Sprinkle with the nuts and chopped basil.