Roasted Vegetable & Garlic barley risottoCourse: Dinner, Lunch
2 red onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 bunch baby beetroot, cut into wedges
250g peeled butternut pumpkin, chopped
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 cups pearl barley
100ml white wine
1L vegetable liquid stock
25g finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
2 tbsp chopped basil, plus leaves to serve
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Chop one onion, finely and set aside
- Cut the remaining onion into thin wedges and place in a large roasting pan with the carrot, beetroot, pumpkin, herbs, and remaining garlic
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle with some olive oil to coat and roast, stirring a couple times, for 50 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the chopped onion and garlic with a little salt and pepper for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the barley and stir for 1 minute to coat the grains. Add the wine and simmer until evaporated, then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the barley is al dente and the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the roasted vegetables, cheese and chopped basil. Season to taste and serve with extra cheese and basil leaves.